First Generation Services
|View the Winter 2014 First Gen Newsletter|
The First Generation Student Initiative guides and supports first generation learners throughout their college experience.
What is a First Generation Student?
A first generation student is one whose parents or guardians have not attended a post-secondary institution. If a sibling of the student has attended a College or University, but the parent(s) or guardian(s) have not, the student is still considered a First Generation Student.
The goals of the First Generation Student Initiative are:
- to encourage student success by offering ongoing support and academic services for first generation learners in preparation for their careers
- to work in partnership with other college services to promote student success
What We Offer:
- A comfortable and welcoming place to ask questions in confidence about your personal or academic life
- Individualized guidance, consultation and support for first generation students
- Advice about personal, academic and career goals and/or financial concerns
- An orientation to accessing services and resources
- Access to peer tutoring, academic supports and learning strategies
- Guidance in making community contacts and connections
- Workshops/events tailored to the academic, financial, and social needs of first generation students
- Opportunities for students to offer feedback to help enhance this initiative
Making the transition to college can be exciting yet challenging and we are here to support you through your experience.
If you have questions or concerns, let us steer you in the right direction!
Access our First Generation Office to be connected with the services, support and information you need to help you be successful.
For an appointment please contact Trina.
Trina St. Jacques
Student Life and First Generation Advisor
705.474.7600 ext. 5130