Technician – 2 Years / Technologist – 3 years
The field of biotechnology is vast and limitless. Graduates can go on to work in a variety of settings and industries including health, agriculture and natural resources. Learn hands-on techniques from current, well-published professors. The program prepares students for rewarding careers exploring solutions to a variety of problems facing our planet, such as cancer research, control of infectious diseases, food shortages, and environmental sustainability.
Field placement option available in the Technologist stream of this program.
Your Future Career
What You Learn
Any one of the following:
- Grade 12 Compulsory English (ENG 4C or ENG 4U); Grade 11 Mathematics (C) or (U); and one (1) of the following three sciences: Biology Grade 11 or 12 (C) or (U) (SBI 3C, SBI 3U, SBI 4U); Chemistry Grade 11 or 12 (C) or (U) (SCH 3U, SCH 4U, SCH 4C); Physics Grade 11 or 12 (C) or (U) (SPH 3U, SPH 4U, SPH 4C)
- Completion of Canadore College Pre-Health Program or equivalent
- University and similar program graduates welcome! Advanced standing is determined on an individual basis
- Mature Applicants: Ontario residents aged 19 or over without the OSSD will be considered on the basis of their results on the College's Mature Student Test.
(not used in the admission selection process):
- Any additional Grade 11 and/or 12 sciences (C) or (U)
- Any Grade 12 Mathematics (C) or (U)
- Grade 11 (M) and/or Grade 12 (M) Computer Information Services (ICS 3M, ICS 4M)
Technician & Technologist
Semester One - Fall:
BTN 100 Cell Biology
BTN 105 State of Biotechnology
BTN 110 Organ Physiology
CLT 100Canada's First Peoples
CHM 110 Inorganic Chemistry
CMM 125 College Communications I
PHY 155 Physics for Biotechnology
Semester Two - Winter:
BTN 215Biochemistry I (7 weeks)
BTN 230 Organic Chemistry (7 weeks)
BTN 300 Biostatistical Applications I
BTN 415Scientific Literacy
MTH 130 Calculus
CIS 201Intro to Programming
Semester Three - Fall:
BTN 210 General Microbiology
BTN 320 Immunology
BTN 321 Bioinformatics
BTN 325 Biochemistry II (BTC325 for 2yr program)
BTN 441Statistical Programming
BTN 405Molecular Biology
Semester Four - Winter:
BTN 310Industrial Microbiology
BUS 261Project Management
BTN 430 Pharmacology/Toxicology
BTN 435 Proteomics
BTN 445 Applied Bioinformatics
BTN 455 Virology
GENEDGeneral Education Elective - Online
Technologist (3 year program)
Semester Five - Fall:
BTN 500 Field Placement 1
BTN 502 Biotechnology Issues
Semester Six - Winter:
BTN 600 Field Placement II
BTN 601 Field Placement Report
BTN 603 Biotechnology Issues II
Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of information provided on our website. The College reserves the right to modify any course, program, curriculum, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time.
Learning outcomes represent culminating demonstrations of learning and achievement. In addition, learning outcomes are interrelated and cannot be viewed in isolation of one another. As such, they should be viewed as a comprehensive whole. They describe performances that demonstrate that significant integrated learning by graduates of the program has been achieved.
Canadore College reserves the right to place students in any clinical or field placement or combination of placements that are determined to be appropriate. Students must be prepared to travel to and from placements and/or relocate at their own expense for all or part of the placement.
Service Learning Trips
In 2016, Canadore Environmental professor and students travelled to Carriacou, Grenada for a 2-week marine conservation workshop as part of an educational exchange partnership with Caribbean Reef Buddy Organization. Conservation work included underwater photography, reef fish identification, coral watch, AGGRA monitoring protocols and invasive species containment (i.e. Lion fish). Students completed their PADI Advanced Water Certificate.