What is Seniors’ Centre Without Walls?
Through the use of multi-person phone calls, SCWW provides the opportunity for participants to join in on health and wellness seminars, educational lectures, recreational activities, listen to live musical entertainment, join in on general conversations, and make new and meaningful friendships – all from the comfort of their home! SCWW works in the same way as attending a class or a lecture at the community centre, but instead is facilitated over the telephone.
This Canadore College chapter of Seniors’ Centre Without Walls made possible by the amazing Club Action 50+ East Ferris group who have been working with Canadore staff to be the pilot group for this initiative!
- This programming is FREE for anyone over the age of 55+
- Programming consists of multi-person phone conversations (or conference calls)
- No special technology is needed – you just require access to a telephone or cell phone!
- Phone sessions last between 30-60 minutes
- You will be able to hear our hosts, hear each other, talk to community members, and have fun while doing it!
How does it work?
- You just pick up and call in to a toll free number when you would like to join a session!
- You will join on a call with several other participants
- SCWW Staff/Volunteers will host the call and guide you through the session!
What are the Benefits?
- Relieves isolation and loneliness
- Creates friendships and community
- Easy to access!
Call 705-474-7600 ext 7989 and leave your name and number.
We will get a call back to complete registration within one business day.
You can also email Micheline.firstname.lastname@example.org
The Senior Centre Without Walls Program at the Village started last year in partnership with the East Ferris Club Action 50+ group and the OACAO with funding from the Government of Canada’s New Horizons’ for Seniors Program to support older adults 55+ during the pandemic. This has been a free program for anyone 55+ living in the Nipissing Parry Sound District. We have learned a lot in the last year and in the coming months, we will be looking for ways to improve and expand the program to ensure this service remains available to people living in the Nipissing and Parry Sound districts.
With the summer weather, we see lower attendance at our programs since we can enjoy the nice weather and outdoors. We are happy to present you with our summer lunch and learn series. Once a week, on Wednesdays, we have presentations from the community about a variety of topics. Participants bring their lunch and we bring the learning! Please find our newsletter for the next three months! Please share with anyone who may be interested. We have both a PDF for easy email sharing and a JPEG if you want to post this on your social media.
Over the summer, we will be working on new programming and format. If you have any questions about Senior Centre Without Walls or the Village Collective Impact Project, please contact Micheline McWhirter by phone at 705-358-2829 or by email at Micheline.email@example.com or Kelsey Lecappelain by email at Kelsey.Lecappelain@canadorecollege.ca .
A big thank you to all the organizations who have supported us and who are presenting over the summer.
Please share these newsletters far and wide with anyone who may benefit. By registering, participants will receive the monthly program and also receive reminder calls. If someone wants to check it out without registering, you can by just dialing-in.
To call into any program:
- Call 1-800-669-6180
- Enter the code 568807
- State your name, followed by the pound (#) key
Safe Space Policy:
The aim of the SCWW program is to ensure that all participants have a rewarding, enjoyable, safe, and memorable experience. We ask that all participants follow these guidelines:
- Allow the host/guest speaker of your session to lead the group
- Allow all participants to contribute - try not to take over the conversation.
- Please be kind and courteous to everyone on the call, and allow participants to finish their thoughts without interruption
- Important: Everyone is welcome on these calls! This means that the calls are respectful to everyone and all identities surrounding race, ethnicity, culture, religion and/or spirituality, age, levels of mental/physical ability, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.