What is community-based training?
Community-based training works to ensure accessible, quality educational experiences that meet the unique needs of Indigenous communities and industry partners. This training consists of post secondary programs (certificate/diploma), pre-apprenticeships and trades pathways or intensive short training packages, including essential and employability skills and academic upgrading, delivered in partnership with Indigenous communities and organizations. The training can be custom designed with flexible delivery models that meet the needs of the community within a set timeframe.
What are the goals of community-based training?
- Respond to the employment and training needs in collaboration with Indigenous communities.
- Provide flexible and relevant programming for students.
- Promote and enhance access to post secondary education
- Meet local community labour market trends and employment gaps
Community Based Training in partnership with Canadore College has a proven track record of success:
- Ability for students to stay in their home communities to access post secondary programs.
- Immediate support of families and friends when needed.
- An environment that is responsive to and respectful of the needs, choices and aspirations of the learners.
- Qualified instructors, who can provide a supportive learning environment are recruited within the community and surrounding area.
- An opportunity to maintain current employment while attending classes.
- Barrier removal for students
Contact Us Today
Interested in exploring community-based training in your community or organization? Contact us to arrange a site visit and free consultation today. We will work with you to respond to the training and education needs of your community and organization. We can provide expert advice on cost effective approaches to contract training, core-funded tuition based, or short intensive program development and delivery.
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) Program
- General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship Program for Women
- Small Engine Technician Pre-Apprenticeship Program
- Indigenous Wellness Addictions Prevention (IWAP) 1 year Certificate Program
- Computer Applications 1 year Certificate Program
- Trades Pathways Program
- Building the Fire Within Training Program
- Professional Office Skills Certificate Program
- Indigenous Poverty Reduction through Education Program (IPREP) – Student Services (Link to IPREP)
Manager, Community Based & Contract Training
705.474.7600 ext. 5366/5647