$4 Million for Nipissing, Canadore
Feb 15, 2022 | Cindy Males, Public Relations and Communications Specialist
Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing made a virtual announcement today, of the Ontario government’s investment of $4M for Canadore College and Nipissing University. This funding will help provide a modern and safe learning environment for students, faculty and staff, both virtually and on campus.
“This support will ensure students at Canadore College and Nipissing University have access to modern instructional equipment to meet business and industry standards, increase student access to micro-credentials and enhance the overall student experience,” said Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing “By investing in postsecondary infrastructure, we are not only supporting our local economy, but ensuring students get the skills needed for the in-demand jobs of today and tomorrow.”
The $2.4M investments at Canadore College includes purchasing virtual, interactive simulation software, such as Can-Sim and Laerdal vSim, to offer healthcare courses online and in remote locations in the North. The $1.6M investment at Nipissing University will support a variety of projects including creation of Nursing Simulation space, roof and HVAC replacements.
“We are grateful for the Government of Ontario’s investment in our infrastructure which will enable Canadore College to provide the workforce required to build a stronger Ontario. These funds will be used to continue Canadore’s program development to meet the needs of the current and evolving workforce as we build the Ontario economy. Specifically, some of these funds will be used to renew classrooms, laboratories and shops, and enhance Canadore’s capacity to deliver health and wellness training using some of the latest simulation technology available in the world,” said George Burton, President and CEO of Canadore College. “Our vision is to create a world class simulation technology environment that will train our students to enter the workforce with the latest skills, helping us to meet the growing need for college graduates in the province.”
"This investment by the province means that Nipissing students will continue to enjoy state-of-the-art facilities that not only enhance the student experience, but provide an excellent environment for learning inside and outside the classroom," said Kevin Wamsley, President and Vice-Chancellor, Nipissing University.
The funding is part of the government’s $583 million investment over three years to help institutions modernize classrooms by upgrading technology, carrying out critical repairs, improving their environmental sustainability and supporting virtual learning projects that increase access to postsecondary education for students.
- As announced in the 2021 Ontario Budget, the funding is part of the government’s $583 million investment over three years to help colleges and universities maintain and renew their facilities and buy state-of-the-art instructional equipment.
- $493 million will be provided over three years through the Facilities Renewal Program to help publicly assisted colleges and universities with the critical maintenance, repairs, upgrades and renewal of existing facilities.
- $60 million will be provided over three years through the College Equipment and Renewal Fund to help colleges buy and renew instructional equipment and learning resources.
- $30 million will be provided over three years through the new Training Equipment and Renewal Fund to hep universities purchase and renew modern, state-of-the art equipment.
- 2021 Ontario Budget, Ontario’s Action Plan: Protecting People’s Health and Our Economy
- Ontario Universities