ACE May Newsletter - eCampusOntario Virtual Learning Strategy (VLS) Project Awards
Aug 3, 2021 | Academic Centre of Excellence
We have great news! Canadore is the proud recipient and participant in a number of eCampusOntario Virtual Learning Strategy (VLS) project awards! “VLS is an historic $50 million investment by the Ontario Ministry of College’s and Universities (MCU) intended to drive growth and advancement in virtual learning across the province’s postsecondary institution. The strategy will expand the possibilities of traditional and life-long learning through the accelerated use of both online and hybrid learning” (eCampusOntario). We highlight two of these awards below.
VLS Project Award # 1: Digital Content Creation - Development of a Digital Tool to Promote Intellectual Property in the Context of Applied Research at College (Développement d’un outil numérique visant favoriser la littératie en propriété intellectuelle dans le cadre de la recherche appliquée au collégial)
Canadore’s Research Office will partner with La Cité and George Brown Colleges to develop an online tool to help industry and community partners, faculty and staff, and students to understand Intellectual Property (IP) rights with funds received from a collaborative VLS project award. The project will see modules created online that complement those offered already by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO). Modules will be tested with industry, faculty and staff, and students in both French and English, to meet three objectives:
- To demystify the concepts of IP with key players in the context of applied research programs at college.
- Increase the IP literacy of targeted individuals: Faculty, Staff, Students and Industry Partners as it relates to applied research.
- Help private companies better recognize IP-related business opportunities in applied research projects.
- Perhaps the ultimate goal of the project is to demystify the concepts of IP with key players through College applied research programs.
The project started in April 2021. Canadore will lead the testing and evaluation of the online tool from December 2021 to February 2022. The project completion date is set for March 31, 2022.
VLS Project Award #2: Digital Capacity – Targeted Supports
Canadore’s Academic Centre of Excellence (ACE) will hire a contract Multimedia Developer, Instructional Designer, and Online Education Support Person with funds received from a VLS project award. These three hires will work with ACE to design, develop, and deliver high-quality learning material, tools, and support to achieve excellence in virtual teaching and learning. This includes:
- The redesign and update of Canadore’s current New Faculty Orientation Course into one for HyFlex (face-to-face and online) delivery.
- The re-development of the ACE website into a public virtual teaching hub to support faculty to reach, engage, and teach students.
- The development of a virtual space for students to learn how to use the College’s educational technologies and learn about online learning best practices.
- The development and implementation of guides, templates, and professional development opportunities to create capacity for faculty to design and deliver face-to-face, remote, online, and blended courses.
Work by the new hires will begin immediately and end March 2022. It will start with the revamp and publication of a new ACE website and New Faculty Orientation course in August 2021. The hires will be available to support faculty one-to-one throughout the 2021 - 2022 academic year.