The Healthcare for Indigenous Peoples Badge provides the learner with the opportunity to understand more about Canada’s First Peoples, their history, and experiences from colonialism to the present day. Participants are introduced to a number of foundational Indigenous principles and practices such as the story of creation, natural law, traditional healing philosophy and practices, the four sacred medicines and the importance of ceremony and community.
This course also aims to enhance awareness regarding how the individual and collective historical experience of the Indigenous Peoples of Canada might impact the current delivery of healthcare within Indigenous communities, and what you as a healthcare provider can do to improve that experience and relationship.
You may enroll in a Continuing Education course at Canadore College if you are 19 years of age or older or if you have earned an Ontario Secondary School Diploma/Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or equivalent.
1. Introduction to the Indigenous Peoples of Canada
2. The historical experience of Indigenous Peoples of Canada
3. Traditional approaches to Health and Wellness
4. Integrating traditional and conventional medicine
5. Building cultural safety and competency