Canadore College and Nipissing University are helping to improve access to post-secondary education for youth placed in the care of the Canadian Children’s Aid Society through the Youth in Care Bursary. There are up to five bursaries per year to youth currently or formerly in foster care.
The bursaries cover tuition and ancillary fees as well as the cost of the application fee through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) or the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS), and are renewable for up to four years as long as progression requirements are met. Both high school applicants and mature students are eligible to apply.
“This is a very important initiative for Canadore College as we continue to look for ways to reduce barriers to post-secondary education,” said George Burton, President & CEO, Canadore College. “Finances are one reason this group is traditionally under-represented on college campuses. We know a college education leads to better life outcomes, and providing this bursary will allow Canadore to make their dream of a college education a reality.”
To be considered eligible for the bursary, students must:
- Have been placed in the care of the Children's Aid Society at some point during their lives
- Receive an offer of admission and meet the final conditions on the offer
Programs delivered in partnership with educational institutes may not be eligible for this program. Please contact us for more information.
To take part in this initiative, students must:
- Apply to Canadore College through the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS).
- Be eligible and apply for OSAP (Ontario students only)
- Complete OSAP’s Verification of Status with Ontario Children’s Aid Society form. If you are applying from another province, complete that province’s grant/loan application and relevant Children’s Aid form.
- Provide a letter from the Children's Aid Society indicating the length of time for which you have been or were in extended society care.
This bursary is meant to subsidize the costs of post-secondary study but does not cover residence or other amenities that may be required. The following costs are covered:
- Ontario College Application Service (OCAS) application fee
- Tuition and ancillary fees for one Canadore College program
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, current students who were previously in care are eligible to apply for the Youth in Care Bursary. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Information on how to apply to Canadore College can be found here.
More information on how to apply to OSAP can be found here.